Five decades ago, “Plop plop, fizz fizz” was a jingle responsible for doubling Alka Seltzer’s profits. The catchy tune, quite ingeniously, suggested that consumers “plop” twice the previously recommended amount, which resulted in twice the revenue. Compared to today, it’s fascinating to realize how effective these “jingles” were, and how cutting edge “jingle marketing strategies” were at the time.
No longer can a dapper adman from the 60’s be suddenly struck with a rhyme for a product, whilst puffing on a “healthy” cigarette and sporting a fedora, and end up promoted.
However, the times change, and the marketing landscape with them. For the businesses that choose to embrace change, with arms wide open, the future is abundantly ripe for the picking.
So what’s the future of marketing look like?
“There are two places right now that companies need to be focusing to win their marketing game. One is mobile, and the social networks contained within mobile. The second is video.” – Gary Vaynerchuk
Gary V, one of the most renowned digital marketers of our time, is demonstrably correct. This article will be to inform you of the global shift towards videos, as well as, mobile devices, and end with how you can take full advantage of this shift.
If “content is king”, video content is the king of kings. Businesses are finally figuring out that videos are much easier to produce than previously thought and a great deal more enticing than any other form of content. This success is no secret: videos are engaging, and more engagement leads to higher revenue, time spent on your site, email captures, everything, etc.
Consider the stats below from Animoto (2015) and Adobe (2015) on video marketing:
- Shoppers who view video are 1.81 times more likely to purchase than non-viewers.
- The average consumer is four times more likely to watch a video about a product than read about it.
- Customers are nearly 50% more likely to read email newsletters that include links to video.
- 4 in 5 consumers say a video showing how a product or service works is important.
- 96% of consumers find videos helpful when making purchase decisions online.
Even a few years ago, videos were still relatively difficult for businesses to get behind. They took time to shoot, edit, host, and share. You would need a video specialist, at the very least, to successfully create a decent video marketing campaign.
However, if you’re still considering the creation of video content to be tedious today, you’re dead wrong. New marketing technologies, like Kernl, have made creating video content for products nearly effortless. It’s entirely possible to download this free app, record a product sitting on your desk, and share this to every marketing channel you have–all in about 5 minutes from now.
In addition, Kernl is also mobile friendly; allow me to discuss why the shift to mobile devices is also incredibly important below.
Any metro-ride, in any city, will tell you smartphones are the future. In any given train, count the number of heads buried in phones, engaged in their hobby or game of choice, and tell me your business shouldn’t be focused on mobile content. There’s no need for me to bring up anecdotal evidence though–the numbers speak for themselves.
Take a look at these impressive stats and endorsements on mobile devices:
- “More Google searches take place on mobile devices than on computers in the US.” – Google
- “For the first year ever, total PC sales around the world were outpaced by total smartphone sales, in units at least.” – Canalsys
- “Consumers significantly accelerated their use of mobile devices for both shopping and purchase activity.” – comScore
- “The shift to mobile might finally be complete. The amount of time people spend online on desktops might have peaked in 2015.” – Business Insider
- “Mobile, Mobile, Mobile… mobile can’t be put off for another year.” – Forbes
Consumers are no longer tethered to the living room with the TV, or even to a desktop or laptop, mobile devices are the norm. The faster your business accepts this shift, the faster a mobile marketing strategy can be developed.
Jumpstart your businesses’ marketing efforts today by focusing on where consumers actually spend their attention; On video content, as well as, mobile devices.
Today, the modern day “jingle” is only attainable by the businesses who embrace the modern day shift to mobile devices and video content.
This revolutionary new marketing tool is called Kernl, and is a free marketing iOS app that allows businesses to create mobile videos, and share them, in literally seconds. Each video can be directly purchased from and shared to any social media platform, marketing channel, or email campaign—desktop or mobile.
Thankfully, nowadays a smoking habit isn’t required to be an effective adman (or adwoman). However, keeping an eye on what’s currently trending, mobile optimized video, is the absolute best way to stay ahead of the game and dominate your industry.